Garysburg, NC

Garysburg, situated in Northampton County, is a small town made up of only 1 square mile.

2018 Best Guide to Garysburg, NC

August 6, 2018

Garysburg was founded as Peeples Town around the early 1820's and originally consisted only of a post office. The town as it is today stands to the south of where that post office stood. It would be in the 1830's that the town would assume its current name of Garysburg.

Demographics

The median resident age in Garysburg is 43 years. The median estimated household income is about $26,000 making it about $22,000 less than the North Carolina average. The estimated per capita is about $14,000. The average price for a home in Garysburg is about $62,000 (2015) which is $98,000 less than the North Carolina Average. Expect to pay about $850 a month for rent.

The racial makeup of Garysburg is 2% White, 95% Black, 1% Two or more races, and 2% other. 82% of the population are high school graduates, with 7% holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher. 27% are married, 14% are divorced, 5% are separated, 15% are widowed, leaving 39% that have never been married.

Towns Nearby

Weldon, NC
South Weldon, NC
Roanoke Rapids, NC
Gaston, NC
Seaboard, NC
South Rosemary, NC
Halifax, NC
Jackson, NC

Northampton County

Garysburg belongs to Northampton County in the north-eastern part of North Carolina. The county, named after James Compton, is part of the Roanoke Rapids, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area. Northampton County has a population of 22,000 and the town Jackson, with a population of 520, is the county seat.

In 1741, the county was formed from a part of Bertie County. Northampton County went to the Supreme Court in 1959 to defend the use of literacy tests as a requirement to vote, but congress refused the use of the tests after the National Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Northampton County borders Hertford, Bertie, Warren, Halifax, Brunswick (Virginia), Southampton (Virginia), and Greensville (Virginia) counties.

Northampton County is made up of 551 square miles. 537 of which is land with the remaining 14 as water.

Population

The population of Garysburg, NC is about 1,000. The population made a large increase from the 1970's to the 1980's, but has since decreased after 2000.

Elevation

The elevation of Garysburg, NC is 135 feet above sea level.

Zip Code

The zip code for Garysburg, NC is 27831.

Area Code

The area code for Garysburg, NC is 252.

Politics and Religion

Historically speaking Garysburg and Northampton County have voted mostly Democrat, with 67% going to Barrack Obama during the 2012 Presidential Election. This represents the trend for the previous four or five elections.

As of 2010, 70% of the population are religiously unafiliated (Nones), with Protestants making up the remaining 30%.

Economy

The unemployment rate for Garysburg is about 8% (2015), making it higher than the state average of around 5%.

Transportation, administration, and personal care make nearly 50% of the most common industries in the town.

Newspaper & Obituaries

The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, The Daily Herald, and Lake Gaston Gazette are the primary newspapers that cover the Northampton County area.