Gaston, NC

Gaston, situated in Northampton County, is a small town made up of 1.8 square miles.

2018 Best Guide to Gaston, NC

August 5, 2018

Gaston is home to the historic Gaston School, which was built in the 1950's.  


The median resident age in Gaston is 44 years. The median estimated household income is about $29,000 making it about $19,000 less than the North Carolina average. The estimated per capita is about $18,000. The average price for a home in Gaston is about $60,000 (2015) which is $100,000 less than the North Carolina Average. Expect to pay about $700 a month for rent. 

The racial makeup of Gaston is 56% White, 39% Black, 1% Two or more races, and 4% other. 68% of the population are high school graduates, with 5% holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher. 33% are married, 14% are divorced, 3% are separated, 13% are widowed, leaving 37% that have never been married.

Towns Nearby

Roanoke Rapids, NC
South Rosemary, NC
Weldon, NC
Garysburg, NC
South Weldon, NC
Seaboard, NC
Halifax, NC
Jackson, NC

Northampton County

Gaston belongs to Northampton County in the north-eastern part of North Carolina. The county, named after James Compton, is part of the Roanoke Rapids, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area. Northampton County has a population of 22,000 and the town Jackson, with a population of 520, is the county seat.

In 1741, the county was formed from a part of Bertie County. Northampton County went to the Supreme Court in 1959 to defend the use of literacy tests as a requirement to vote, but congress refused the use of the tests after the National Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Northampton County borders Hertford, Bertie, Warren, Halifax, Brunswick (Virginia), Southampton (Virginia), and Greensville (Virginia) counties.

Northampton County is made up of 551 square miles. 537 of which is land with the remaining 14 as water.


The population of Gaston, NC is about 1,150. The population has been steadily increasing since the 1990's.


The elevation of Gaston, NC is 177 feet above sea level.

Zip Code

The zip code for Gaston, NC is 27832.

Area Code

The area code for Gaston, NC is 252.

Politics and Religion

Historically speaking Gaston and Northampton County have voted mostly Democrat, with 67% going to Barrack Obama during the 2012 Presidential Election. This represents the trend for the previous four or five elections.

As of 2010, 70% of the population are religiously unafiliated (Nones), with the remaining 30% being Protestants.


The unemployment rate for Gaston is about 8% (2015), making it higher than the state average of around 5%. Manufacturing, retail, and construction make nearly 50% of the most common industries in the town.

Newspaper & Obituaries

The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald, The Daily Herald, and Lake Gaston Gazette are the primary newspapers that cover the Northampton County area.


Gaston Home Page

Middle School
Elementary School
Town Hall
Real Estate

Gaston on City Data
Gaston on Wikipedia
Chamber of Commerce