Rich Square, NC

Rich Square, situated in Northampton County, is a small town made up of 2.8 square miles.

2017 Best Guide to Rich Square, NC

September 5, 2017

Rich Square is the oldest town located in Northampton County. The town was incorporated in 1869.  

Demographics

The median resident age in Rich Square is 50 years. The median estimated household income is about $32,000 making it about $16,000 less than the North Carolina average. The estimated per capita is about $17,000. The average price for a home in Rich Square is about $80,000 (2015) which is $80,000 less than the North Carolina Average. Expect to pay about $800 a month for rent. 

The racial makeup of Rich Square is 62% Black, 36% White, 1% Two or more races, and 1% other. 74% of the population are high school graduates, with 11% holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher. 46% are married, 12% are divorced, 5% are separated, 11% are widowed, leaving 26% that have never been married.

Towns Nearby

Woodland, NC
Lasker, NC
Roxobel, NC
Kelford, NC
Aulander, NC
Jackson, NC
Conway, NC
Lewiston Woodville, NC

Northampton County

Rich Square belongs to Northampton County in the north-eastern part of North Carolina. The county, named after James Compton, is part of the Roanoke Rapids, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area. Northampton County has a population of 22,000 and the town Jackson, with a population of 520, is the county seat.

In 1741, the county was formed from a part of Bertie County. Northampton County went to the Supreme Court in 1959 to defend the use of literacy tests as a requirement to vote, but congress refused the use of the tests after the National Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Northampton County borders Hertford, Bertie, Warren, Halifax, Brunswick (Virginia), Southampton (Virginia), and Greensville (Virginia) counties.

Northampton County is made up of 551 square miles. 537 of which is land with the remaining 14 as water.

Population

The population of Rich Square, NC is about 900. The population has been seen a decrease since its peak in the 1970s.

Elevation

The elevation of Rich Square, NC is 69 feet above sea level.

Zip Code

The zip code for Rich Square, NC is 27869.

Area Code

The area code for Rich Square, NC is 252.

Politics and Religion

Historically speaking Rich Square and Northampton County have voted mostly Democrat, with 67% going to Barrack Obama during the 2012 Presidential Election. This represents the trend for the previous four or five elections.

As of 2010, 70% of the population are religiously unafiliated (Nones), with the remaining 30% being Protestant.

Economy

The unemployment rate for Rich Square is about 8% (2015), making it higher than the state average of around 5%. Manufacturing, public administration make nearly 50% of the most common industries in the town.

Newspaper & Obituaries

The Roanoke Chowan-News Herald and Commonwealth Progress are the primary newspapers that cover the Northampton County area.


 

Cada
Duck Thru
Zip Code
Homes for Sale
Rural Health Group
Newspaper
CPTA

Rich Square on City Data
Rich Square on Wikipedia
Chamber of Commerce

-