Snow Hill, NC

Snow Hill, situated in Greene County, is a small town made up of 1.5 square miles.

2018 Best Guide to Snow Hill, NC

September 26, 2017

Snow Hill was the location of the last battle of the Tuscarora War in the early 1700s. The town was incorporated in 1828. A tornado made it's way though the town in 2011, leaving plenty of damage in its wake.  


The median resident age in Snow Hill is 48 years. The median estimated household income is about $30,000 making it about $18,000 less than the North Carolina average. The estimated per capita is about $19,000. The average price for a home in Snow Hill is about $105,000 (2015) which is $55,000 less than the North Carolina Average. Expect to pay about $500 a month for rent.

The racial makeup of Snow Hill is 53% Black, 36% White, 1% Two or more races, and 10% other. 79% of the population are high school graduates, with 16% holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher. 41% are married, 18% are divorced, 6% are separated, 9% are widowed, leaving 26% that have never been married.

Towns Nearby

Hookerton, NC
Maury, NC
Walstonburg, NC
Farmville, NC
La Grange, NC
Kinston, NC
Eureka, NC
Bell Arthur, NC

Greene County

Snow Hill belongs to Greene County in the eastern part of North Carolina. Greene County has a population of 21,000 and its largest town Snow Hill, with a population of 1,600, is the county seat.

The area of modern day Greene County was settled by immigrants from Virginia and other parts of North Carolina around 1710. These immigrants fought with the original inhabitants (Tuscarora Indians), and were eventually victorious after the natives were defeated at the end of the Tuscarora War. Greene County, named after Nathanael Greene, was founded in 1791.

Greene County borders Lenoir, Pitt, Wayne, and Wilson counties.

Greene County is made up of 266 square miles. 265.5 of which is land with the remaining 0.5 as water.


The population of Snow Hill, NC is about 1,600. The population has been steadily increasing since the early 20th century.


The elevation of Snow Hill, NC is 89 feet above sea level.

Zip Code

The zip code for Snow Hill, NC is 28580.

Area Code

The area code for Snow Hill, NC is 252.

Politics and Religion

Historically speaking Snow Hill and Greene County have voted mostly Republican, with 54% going to Mitt Romney during the 2012 Presidential Election. This represents the trend for the previous four or five elections.

As of 2010, 73% of the population are religiously unafiliated (Nones), with the remaining 27% as Protestants.


The unemployment rate for Snow Hill is about 6% (2015), making it higher than the state average of around 5%. Manufacturing, construction, and finance make nearly 50% of the most common industries in the town.

Newspaper & Obituaries

The Greene County Record is the primary newspaper that covers the Greene County area.


Food Lion
Zip Code
Advance Auto
Wade Tire
Homes for Sale
US Cellular
Two Cousins
Food Pride
Lenoir Community College
Ham Produce
First Citizens Bank
Homes for Rent
Snow Hill Medical Center
Greendale Forest
Post Office
Kings BBQ
Chinese food
Sticks and More

Town of Snow Hill NC
Snow Hill on City Data
Snow Hill on Wikipedia
Chamber of Commerce