Winfall, NC

Winfall, situated in Perquimans County, is a small town made up of 2.1 square miles.

2018 Best Guide to Winfall, NC

February 22, 2018

The town of Winfall, which was incorporated in 1887, was originally named Windfall. The town is named after a windstorm that passed through the town, knocking over buildings.


The median resident age in Winfall is 41 years. The median estimated household income is about $42,000 making it about $8,000 less than the North Carolina average. The estimated per capita is about $30,000. The average price for a home in Winfall is about $133,000 (2016) which is $32,000 less than the North Carolina Average. Expect to pay about $800 a month for rent.

The racial makeup of Winfall is 57% White, 39% Black, and 4% other. 80% of the population are high school graduates, with 10% holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher. 48% are married, 11% are divorced, 3% are separated, 11% are widowed, leaving 27% that have never been married.

Towns Nearby

Hertford, NC
Edenton, NC
Elizabeth City, NC
Colerain, NC
South Mills, NC
Camden, NC
Sunbury, NC

Perquimans County

Winfall belongs to Perquimans County in the north-eastern part of North Carolina. The county, named after the Perquimans Indians, is part of the Elizabeth City, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area. Perquimans County officially became a county in 1739. Perquimans County has a population of 13,000 and its largest town Hertford, with a population of 2,000, is the county seat.

Perquimans County borders Gates, Pasquotank, and Chowan counties.

Perquimans County is made up of 329 square miles. 247 of which is land with the remaining 82 as water.


The population of Winfall, NC is about 600. The population has seen an overall decrease from its peak in the 1980s, but it has been on the rise in recent decades.


The elevation of Winfall, NC is 13 feet above sea level.

Zip Code

The zip code for Winfall, NC is 27985.

Area Code

The area code for Winfall, NC is 252.

Politics and Religion

Historically speaking Winfall and Perquimans County have voted mostly Republican, with 62% going to Donald Trump during the 2016 Presidential Election. This represents the trend for the previous four or five elections.

As of 2010, 58% of the population are religiously unafiliated (Nones), with the remaining 42% identifying as Protestant.


The unemployment rate for Winfall is about 7% (2015), making it higher than the state average of around 5%. Public administration, agriculture, and technical services make nearly 50% of the most common industries in the town.


Zip Code

Town of Winfall NC
Winfall on City Data
Winfall on Wikipedia
Chamber of Commerce