Woodland, NC

Woodland, situated in Northampton County, is a small town made up of 1.3 square miles.

2018 Best Guide to Woodland, NC

March 12, 2018


The median resident age in Woodland is 37 years. The median estimated household income is about $20,000 making it about $30,000 less than the North Carolina average. The estimated per capita is about $13,000. The average price for a home in Woodland is about $76,000 (2016) which is $89,000 less than the North Carolina Average. Expect to pay about $300 a month for rent.

The racial makeup of Woodland is 49% White, 47% Black, 1% Two or more races, and 3% other. 68% of the population are high school graduates, with 10% holding a Bachelor's Degree or higher. 37% are married, 6% are divorced, 7% are separated, 10% are widowed, leaving 40% that have never been married.

Towns Nearby

Lasker, NC
Rich Square, NC
Conway, NC
Roxobel, NC
Aulander, NC
Murfreesboro, NC
Kelford, NC
Jackson, NC

Northampton County

Woodland belongs to Northampton County in the north-eastern part of North Carolina. The county, named after James Compton, is part of the Roanoke Rapids, NC Micropolitan Statistical Area. Northampton County has a population of 22,000 and the town Jackson, with a population of 520, is the county seat.

In 1741, the county was formed from a part of Bertie County. Northampton County went to the Supreme Court in 1959 to defend the use of literacy tests as a requirement to vote, but congress refused the use of the tests after the National Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Northampton County borders Hertford, Bertie, Warren, Halifax, Brunswick (Virginia), Southampton (Virginia), and Greensville (Virginia) counties.

Northampton County is made up of 551 square miles. 537 of which is land with the remaining 14 as water.


The population of Woodland, NC is about 800. The population has seen a moderate decrease since its peak in the 1980s.


The elevation of Woodland, NC is 69 feet above sea level.

Zip Code

The zip code for Woodland, NC is 27897.

Area Code

The area code for Woodland, NC is 252.

Politics and Religion

Historically speaking Woodland and Northampton County have voted mostly Democrat, with 62% going to Hillary Clinton during the 2016 Presidential Election. This represents the trend for the previous four or five elections.

As of 2010, 70% of the population are religiously unafiliated (Nones), with the remaining 30% identifying as Protestant.


The unemployment rate for Woodland is about 8% (2015), making it higher than the state average of around 5%. Agriculture, manufacturing, and retail make nearly 50% of the most common industries in the town.

Newspaper & Obituaries

The Roanoke-Chowan News Herald is the primary newspaper that covers the Northampton County area.


Zip Code
Dr Stanley

Town of Woodland NC
Woodland on City Data
Woodland on Wikipedia
Chamber of Commerce